Saturday, September 6, 2008

Chick Flick Friday


Nathaniel works every Friday night so I have decided to make it my chick flick night. When the kids are in bed I get settled down with a yummy treat and watch a movie. I have started watching older movies that I haven't seen before. Yesterdays movie was "Terms of Endearment." Supposedly a great movie. That is 2 1/2 hours of my life that were an utter waste. I really didn't enjoy it from the very beginning but decided that I would stick it out and see if it would get any better. It just got worse! It was very choppy, horrible acting and really annoying characters. There were too many different underlying stories and no resolution to any of them. Another issue I had with it was the rating. It has a pg rating. I was expecting a nice clean movie. While watching the movie I had to check to make sure it really said pg on the movie. The "F" word was used twice and the amount of sex was appalling. Not to mention the drugs in one of the opening scenes. After doing some research I found that it was originally given an R rating but the director fought it. In 1983 there was no pg-13 rating so it was given a pg. It should have been stuck with R if you ask me.

***Spoiler Alert***

So here is my synopsis of the movie. Shirley MacLaine plays Aurora, a selfish, immature, and controlling mother to Emma, played by Debra Winger. Emma gets married to the first boy she can to get out of her mothers house. She and Flap are two self absorbed people who decide to procreate and then ignore their children while ruining their lives. They put themselves first and decide that having affairs are better than working on problems. Emma's affair is put in the light of her needing someone and that it is ok while Flap is the dirty dog for stepping out. Emma is also extremely hypocritical. She flips out that Flap is cheating while she is doing the same. Meanwhile Aurora begins dating her neighbor who is played by Jack Nicholson. Their love/hate relationship is one of the most torturous parts of the movie. I just wanted to scream at them to grow up. Then Emma gets sick and everything is suddenly ok between everyone even though nothing is ever worked out. The goodbye scenes with the children were so forced and utterly fake. The end is supposed to be a tear jerker but for me I felt like vomiting. It was disgusting! I kept on wishing she would just die already so I could go to bed.

I think I laughed a couple of times. I did laugh at the part where Emma calls and asks her mom for money and when Aurora asks why she says she thinks she is pregnant and she then stands up and you see a very obvious belly. I also laughed at where they lived, although I don't think it was supposed to be funny.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone! Well ok, maybe if you are having insomnia and need something to put you to sleep I might recommend it. It would knock you out much faster than any medicine you could take.
If you are ever bored on a Friday night and want to watch chick flicks with me, come on over! Just don't forget the treats! :)

2 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I'll be there next friday whether you want me there or not. I will definitely come bearing treats.

sherry said...

You're right, it is a lame movie. I don't know why it is considered a classic. I have only ever seen it on T.V though, so I missed the F bombs and the sex scenes. You'll have to let us know what your next chick flick is so the rest of us can be spared from renting a dud!