Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Empty holes

Today I ventured somewhere I haven't in a while. I entered the hole inside my heart. This hole is slowly closing and becoming a permanent scar but today I opened it a little bit more. I don't like to go there, the pain is too much for me. But sometimes I will hear or read something that will cause it to rip open again and I can't push the pain away. Today is one of those days. It actually started yesterday but I ignored the pain until it was too much. Last night I read a friends blog about her project finishing up. She lost a baby shortly after birth and started Angel babies to help others with their loss. This year she was making gowns, blankets, and bracelets for the local hospital for those sweet angel babies. I had offered to help and she sent me the pattern to make some gowns. We both thought that it would be beneficial for me and hopefully therapeutic. Unfortunately the pattern came at a very low point for me and I shoved it into a drawer. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to face the pain any more. Yesterday as I read her update I was again taken back to my own day. August 1, a day I can't forget. A day my life came crashing down around me. That was enough for me and I closed the site and occupied my mind elsewhere.

This morning as I got in the shower I couldn't hide it anymore. The thoughts were too powerful to push away and the pain too unbearable. Why is it that the shower is always the place that makes me break down? Today the tears began flowing as I replayed that day. How sad I am that I never got to see or hold my little boy. Oh how I wish our hospital had an advocate like Heidi to help those that don't know what to do. My biggest regret is not seeing him and holding him. I didn't know how to ask or if they would even let me. I was too numb and in shock to think clearly about what I wanted. How empty I feel right now. My arms ache to hold him, cuddle him, and kiss him.

I have several friends with fertility problems and I am beginning to understand some of their pain. Yesterday I found out a very dear person is pregnant. I am so utterly happy for her but it only serves as a reminder of what I don't have. A couple months ago I had three people announce their pregnancy in one weekend. It was a difficult time for me. While odds are that I can become pregnant, my odds are dropping in carrying a successful pregnancy. This month marks the one year of when I got pregnant. It is hard to hit that mark. I thought everything was going to be ok. I had my horrid morning sickness, I passed the magical 12 week mark, I felt the baby move, we heard his heartbeat several times. But nothing is ever for sure. No matter how much I want a baby I can't even think about getting pregnant again right now. It is all too fresh in my mind, I have too much fear. I am also beginning to doubt that I could get pregnant. My body is still a mess even after 7 months. But the biggest reason is that I emotionally just can't do it.

I am trying so hard to accept what I have, 3 beautiful children. They are everything to me! But I can't help missing the one that is gone. How differently our lives would be right now. Who would he look like, what would we have named him, how much Nicholas would have adored him. I would give anything to have those sleepless nights with a newborn, the colic, the exhaustion, the struggles. I would take every one of them. Instead I sit here crying like a baby, wishing that my arms will be full again someday and the hole in my heart will continue to heal. I know I will forever have a scar there to remind me of my little boy. He will never be gone from my memories. I know there will be more days like today but I also know they are getting farther apart. I am able to pick up the pieces and move forward. Someday the pain will be replaced with unimaginable joy and on days like today I hold onto that to get me through.

11 comments:

sherry said...

I am so sorry. I feel grateful when I read your thoughts on this matter, because I don't have any experience with it. You explain your thoughts and feelings so eloquently. It makes me feel more thankful for my children even when I am getting no sleep. My thoughts are with you today.

Brooke said...

Danielle, I'm glad that you feel comfortable sharing your feelings with the rest of your readers. We all get inspiration from your words. Though most of us have never had to lose a child (thankfully), we have all had trials that we thought were unbearable, only to somehow emerge on the other side slightly scarred, but still alive. I wish the best for you and your family in the future, and I pray for your scar. I pray that it will always be there, but be less painful than it is right now.

Brandi said...

I'm so sorry you've had a rough go lately. The first year after a loss is definitely the worst. Although my loss was very different from yours, I can say that things have gotten so much better after a few years. Of course, we always think about the dear little ones we lose. But, you and I are definitely blessed with other beautiful children.

I wish I could say something to take away the pain, but I'll just say that I'm thinking about you. I wish I could give you a hug, so here's a cyber hug. ((hug))

Megan said...

*HUGS* *HUGS* *HUGS*
Time will heal that wound, I promise. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. It is awesome that you can talk, okay write, about it. I wish that we would have had someone there when i had Kerstin to help with what to do when that time came also. Call if you need anything! Your very very strong!

amylynne said...

Sorry to hear you're having a rough day. The shower is always definitely my melt-down place too. Maybe it's because I can't mess up my mascara there? Who knows. But anyway, like you said, the days that you feel like this will just keep getting farther and farther apart until eventually the wound will become a scar and you will be ready to move on and welcome another sweet little spirit into your home. You'll be in my prayers. :)

Kara said...

I am so sorry I wish we were there with you. I am glad that you have a place to get everthing out and purge. I wish that I could console you somehow, but know that I am thinking of you and love you.

Not Betty Crocker said...

Sometimes there are no words to help ease the pain so I'll just tell you I love you and am so thankful for your friendship in my life. You're in my prayers.

Lila

Jae said...

I understand!
Prayers for your healing.
Jae

Mel said...

I gained a great testimony of our Savior's atonement for us, the holes in his hands and feet, by enduring a hole in my heart. It hurts and seems unfair, but how grateful I am for the growth and strength that comes after the trials. The pain never fully goes away, but comfort and peace do ease it.

larshannon said...

Love you Danielle. I'm so sorry. I'm giving you a hug right now.

Katy said...

I really admire your ability to put your feelings into words.....I hope it is able to give you some comfort as you still face the pain. I think there is definitely a reason that you feel such a strong bond to your little boy even though you did not get to see or hold him. It is a testimony to the eternal realm of things. I know that you will continue to heal, but sometimes those scars still ache. I hope the many prayers on your behalf will help give you some of the peace and comfort that you need.