Wednesday, December 17, 2008

ER visit and Christmas trees

Today didn't have the best beginning. It all started with Madeleine and Victoria watching cartoons. When Nicholas woke up he wanted to join them on the couch. The girls each grabbed one of Nicholas' hands and tried to pull him onto the couch. They heard a pop and Nicholas came running into my room holding his wrist and crying. I tried to console him but it became apparent pretty quick that this wasn't a simple problem. Nicholas gets over getting hurt quickly. Not today. He wouldn't move his arm and when I tried he screamed. We called the dr's office who told us to go to the ER. I quickly called around to try and cancel my visiting teaching and finding a baby sitter for the girls. (Thanks, Judy! You saved me!) Off to the ER we headed. Thankfully he stopped crying once we got on the road but still wouldn't use his arm.

We got into the ER, which was pretty slow, and waited. We got back to see the dr pretty quickly and he looked at his arm and wrist. The dr tried to move his elbow and wrist and he just screamed. He thought it might be nurse maids elbow but couldn't get it fixed. Nicholas had slight swelling in his fingers and since the dr wasn't sure if it was broken next came the x-rays. Those were nice and quick thanks to a totally awesome mobile x-ray machine. They also gave Nicholas some Motrin which made him a lot happier. That stuff is a miracle. He even tried coloring but that just frustrated him because it was his left arm that he couldn't use and he is left handed. Finally he just curled up with his daddy and fell asleep.


After what felt like an eternity the dr came in and said it wasn't broken and thought there might be some soft tissue injury. He took his elbow again and this time was able to fix it. Nicholas was asleep and relaxed when he started so I think he was able to get it before Nicholas could fight him. It definitely woke him up but as soon as the dr was done he was fine and instantly started moving his arm again. They put an ace bandage on to be safe and sent us on our way. We finally got back to pick up the girls 5 1/2 hours after dropping them off. Nicholas has been fine all afternoon an you would never know he has had any problems today.

Since I didn't feel up to doing anything this afternoon, we finally got around to making the these fun, and yummy, Christmas trees.


Nicholas loved being able to eat all the icing while I did the work. He was one ooey gooey mess but so darn cute!



The girls loved doing this. Madeleine has wanted to make them ever since she made them in school last Wednesday. She taught Victoria how to make them. She sounded just like her teacher as she gave instructions.















The finished product looked great long enough for me to take the pictures and then they started eating away. You can't make something so yummy and not eat it.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

Oh my goodness! Glad he's okay-scary!

larshannon said...

So glad he is ok. I'm going to do the trees at our place. Thanks for the idea!

Jae said...

Gotta love a trip to the ER!
How do you do those cute trees??

sherry said...

It is so easy to dislocate tiny joints! I remember my mom doing it just by walking too fast holding our hands. I am glad he is better. Cute trees!

Heather Tew said...

I am glad that your little guy is okay...that could have been a bummer of a Christmas. Love the trees...we are going to do that here....Parker would love that!!!

Megan said...

I'm glad everyone is okay! I hate trips to the ER especially when it was a waste of a trip!