Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Grandma

Two weeks ago today my grandma passed away. She had a stroke the previous week and wasn't going to be able to recover so they took her home to pass away in peace. I am so grateful we got there in time to say goodbye. Even though she wasn't awake it was a good closure for me to be able to touch her and see her and tell her that I love her. She died three hours after I said goodbye.

After the funeral

I love this bell tower. They actually have a pull rope for the bell. I have always wanted to pull that rope.

The kids outside Grandma's church

Dinner after the funeral

I have so many memories of my grandma. It was fun to go through all the old pictures and remember all the times at her house when I was little. Some of my favorite memories are such simple things. The toothbrushes she kept for each of us under the bathroom sink, the really cool bottles we used to play with in the tub, bbq's out on the back patio, the ice cream that was always there, drinking 7-Up, cleaning her house, and of course shopping. My grandma loved to spend money on her grandkids and especially her great grandkids. No matter how many times I told her no, she insisted on taking the kids to the store to get a new outfit. They had so much fun picking things out. It's hard to think that the next time I go home she won't be there to visit. She always had a hug and a kiss for us. Her home will be gone, no more memories to relish in as I walk in the door. I love the few things that I got that remind me of her when I see them.
Here are some of my favorite pictures of the girls with Grandma L.


I miss you Grandma!

4 comments:

amylynne said...

That was really sweet. Grandma's are the best. And it sounds like yours was awesome! :)

Katy said...

How precious that you were able to say goodbye. These are beautiful pictures of your children with her!!

Debbie said...

Grandma's are the best! Those are great pictures to have forever of your grandma and your kids. So great you got to say goodbye. Makes me think of my grandma - great post.

Amy Lynn said...

I was so sorry to hear about your grandma. That is great that you were able to say goodbye. What cute pictures with your kids. It reminds me that I need to take more of those.